Quick Course Search

Immigration Information

Passport Renewals

Passport renewals are done at the embassy, high commission or consulate of your home country in South Africa.


A Refugee is a foreign national who has refugee status accorded by the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR), has a South African identity book which is stamped as refugee status, and is normally valid for two years until permanent status is awarded. If not, accorded status reverts to "asylum seeker".

The Refugee Act, Act No. 130 of 1998 (Section 27) provides refugee students the right to study without a study permit.

Asylum Seekers

An Asylum Seeker is a person in possession of a valid permit issued under the Immigration Act, Act No. 13 of 2002 (Section 13) Department of Home Affairs.

Tuition fees are similar to local South African students and they pay local application fees, however they do pay the annual international administration fee. No medical aid cover is legally required, however it is highly recommended.

NB: Registered students are required to update their records with the DUT International Office each time they renew their permit.


Children of diplomatic staff under the age of 23 years are exempt from a study permit and they pay local tuition and related international levies.

Spouses of diplomatic staff do not automatically qualify for exemptions from a study permit. Foreign Affairs will consider each application on its merits.

These concessions are only for the period of the Diplomat is in office in the Republic of South Africa. These benefits are not transferable. Once the Diplomat service ends in South Africa, the student automatically reverts to regular international student status as per their citizenship for which all relevant international fees will be applicable.

Practical Training Permit

This is a permit issued with a study permit enabling a student to work towards the completion of his/her programme (degree)/qualification. This work must be study related. No other work is allowed.

A student on a practical training permit may not be paid in any way at all.

The permit is obtainable when applying for the initial study permit. The Faculty needs to provide you with a letter indicating that you will be required to work towards the completion of your programme (degree) in order for you to be issued with this permit. Please note that there is a fee payable to obtain a training permit.

Doctors who are registrars at the Faculty of Health Sciences are required to obtain a work and a study permit.